The charitable purposes of The Green Backyard CIO are:
- To develop the capacity and skills of members of socially or economically disadvantaged communities within the community of interest in such ways that they are better able to identify, and help meet, their needs and to participate more fully in society, including by:
- equipping people with skills and competencies which they would not otherwise have;
- realising existing skills and developing potential;
- promoting people’s self-confidence;
- encouraging people to get involved in their community and wider society.
- To promote sustainable development for the benefit of the public by:
- the preservation, conservation and the protection of the environment and the prudent use of resources;
- the promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration.
- the advancement of education of the public in subjects relating to sustainable development and the protection, enhancement and rehabilitation of the environment and to promote study and research in such subjects provided that the useful results of such study are disseminated to the public at large.
Sustainable development means “development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”